On January 27th the world changed forever as the Olympus PEN F Camera came back to life from the classic 1960’s version and much loved by a long line of followers.
The new Olympus PEN F Camera combines timeless design with 80 years of camera history and technical innovation. This beauty is a beast.
A unique piece of craftsmanship. Our most extraordinary camera.
Whats under the hood I hear you say! Well I’m about to open the bonnet and reveal all to the world, so lets get started with the brand new 20-Megapixel Live MOS image sensor with no pass through filter for exceptional street photography at low ISO settings with low noise and enhanced dynamic range, and the first of its kind (made by Sony).
High res shot capturing 50mMpixel image out of 8 shots combined to one inside of the camera, not to mention the first built in high visibility viewfinder in a PEN with real-time previews.
To make life easy, and we do like easy, there is a dedicated creative dial with 4 functions including B&W and built in WiFi working in conjunction with the Olympus OI.Share App.
Olympus PEN F Camera Explained
- 20MP Live MOS sensor (made by Sony)
- 50MP high resolution shot mode
- 5-axis camera shake correction.
- Five stop correction (CIPA)
- Creative dial to directly access four functions
- 2.36 million dot organic EL EVF (S-OVF mode to extend the dynamic range)
- Mechanical shutter: 60 seconds -1/8000 seconds
- Electronic front curtain shutter (anti-shock mode): 60 seconds -1/320 seconds
- Electronic shutter (silent mode): 60 seconds -1/16000 seconds
- Video full HD60p – Interval Shooting
- 4K time-lapse movie
- Continuous shooting of 10 frames / sec (5 frames / sec in the AF tracking)
- Wi-Fi built-in. Remote control via smartphone
- 3 inches 1.03 million dot movable LCD monitor
- AF tracking pad: EVF is capable of moving the AF point in the touch panel at the time of use
- Media SDHC / SDXC (UHS-II compatible)
- Included with an external flash FL-LM3. Guide number 9.1. Bounce possible
- ISO200-25600 (LOW: ISO80 equivalent)
- The PEN-F is available in black or silver from end- February 2016. Prices: PEN-F body only £999.99, PEN-F and M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1-3.5-5.6 EZ Pancake lens kit £1099.99, PEN-F and M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:1.8 lens kit £1199.99.
Like every Micro Four Thirds system camera, the PEN-F is built for spontaneous, everyday street photography without a tripod, so it’s more compact and lighter than much larger DSLRs. It’s also considerably better looking, an impression that is heightened when you pick it up. For a relatively small camera, it has surprising gravitas, it feels sensational in the hand and finish send a clear message: this camera is for people who appreciate the finer things in life – and who are capable of adding to those things with their own photography.
There you have it a beast in the making and a PEN F camera to be loved, so I’m going to hit the streets with mine and take her a test drive. Keep a look out for my update, bringing you my Full review on camera.